Saturday 1 July 2017

Ready, set ...

Here we are. The training is done, my bags are packed, my bike serviced, I have reached my fundraising target (although any further donations would be a welcome boost as I struggle through the next 430 miles!) and I am on my way to the airport. Understandably (I hope) I am feeling a bit anxious - but excited!

To anybody interested in following my ride, or concerned about my welfare, you will be able to track my ride in (almost) real time online! Here's how:

1. Visit the Tour de Force website;
2. Click on the green "Live Tracking" link;
3. You will be magically transported (by the power of the internet) to the Map My Tracks website. Hopefully this will have been updated to show that day's route and will display some coloured squares - one of which should be labelled Tom_H.

If everything is working as it should, and if I have remembered to turn my GPS on, it should update once a minute to show where I am. If it doesn't work, though, please don't panic!

I am also going to try - if I have the energy - to update my blog after each stage.

So watch this space and I will let you know how it goes!

To update my last post, I have now replaced my girlfriend's epilator. Being a generous chap, I also let her use it first.

Finally, I know there is going to be a lot of time for getting emotional (and I almost certainly will do), but I really couldn't have got this far without the support, kind words, help and generosity of so many people. You all know who you are and I really appreciate it.

Fundraising
To anybody wondering what I am banging on about, this summer I will be riding 670km (430 miles) in four days as I tackle four stages of the Tour de France. 

It has been a real slog just to get this far, having only cycled on a road bike for the first time last October and needing to spend a fair chunk of each weekend for the past 6 months out on my bike to get my body used to long rides.

All of this hard work is to raise money for the fantastic William Wates Memorial Trust. WWMT gives funding and support to organisations and projects which help disadvantaged young people by keeping them away from a life of crime. 

Please visit my fundraising page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TomHoldaway

I have now reached my fundraising target. Thank you so much to everybody who has sponsored me, shaken a bucket or shared links to my blog or fundraising page. I am grateful for every single penny donated and am pleased that it will be going to an excellent cause.

Shout outs
A big thank you to my big bro Rob, Anna and Steve, David, Jen, Mark and James, who got me over the line to my fundraising target. Thank you also to Ben for taking my bike to Swindon last week for collection by the Tour de Force transport.

Thank you for reading!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment