Monday 3 April 2017

Fun with maths

No, not crystal maths - this isn't Breaking Bad, you know!

Whilst I understand that the title might seem like an oxymoron, I decided to write this post after receiving donations to take me over halfway towards my fundraising total (more on that later).

In February I bought myself a GPS computer to record my training. What this has revealed so far is as follows:
  • Between 10 February 2017 - 31 March 2017, I recorded over 1,116 km cycled - I have actually cycled further, as there have been plenty of journeys where I either forgot to start the GPS or it has taken a while to pick up a signal and I got fed up with waiting, but (as with the time that I recorded running 99.8km in one month when I had actually run further) if it isn't recorded, it doesn't count!
  • This equates to 25,647 calories burned.
  • The above period covers 50 days and gives an average of 22.32 km and 512.94 calories per day.
  • During the month of March, there were just 6 days on which I did not cycle at all.
To put this into context though, when I ride four stages of the Tour de France this summer (more details here):
  • Between 4 July 2017 - 7 July 2017, I will be cycling 694 km.
  • This will equate to 45,000 calories burned.
  • The above period covers 4 days and gives an average of 173.5 km and 11,250 calories per day.
  • During the above 4 days, there will be no rest days!
I am choosing to ignore the elevation statistics for now because they are a bit scary.

Once again, I am incredibly grateful to everybody who has donated so far - it really means a lot to me. As mentioned above, I have now reached over half of my fundraising total. At the time of writing this blog post, I have raised £645 (£781.25 including Gift Aid) - leaving just £555 to reach my target. 

What this really means is that I can reach my target if the following happens:
  • 555 kind people donate £1 each.
  • 111 very kind people donate £5 each.
  • 55½ incredibly kind people donate £10 each.
  • 27¾ super kind people donate £20 each.
I am still trying to work on some fundraising events to reduce the number of super kind people that I have to rely on, but in the meantime if anybody wants to donate anything it really will make a difference.

If anybody would like to donate but is reluctant to do so via my fundraising page (I understand that it is a bit of a faff to do, that some people prefer to avoid that there internet thing and that some people might not want to allow Gift Aid and would prefer not to publically admit to doing so), do get in touch with me and I will happily cycle to you - subject to meeting within a reasonable distance of my flat or somewhere that I am already planning to be - to collect your donation.

Shout outs
Thank you again to everybody who has sponsored me so far. A big thank you goes to Gemma for your incredibly kind donation!

If anybody else would like to sponsor me, please visit my sponsorship page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TomHoldaway. Any donation of any size would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment